A Bumpy Start and a Tenuous NY Trip

We got home late last night from Houston.  Shawn was excited to take a shower and sleep in his own bed.  His stomach was hurting him a bit.  

This morning the family was running around preparing for our trip to New York.  I was not wanting to leave for several reasons.  First, I didn’t know how Shawn was going to feel after this first treatment.  Second, because of all the happenings with Shawn we are really not prepared for this trip.  I realized a couple days ago that we didn’t even have a rental car.  Third, I am just exhausted - mentally and physically.  Forth, I feel super behind at work (because I am).  

I thought about just staying home.  But, this is a big and important trip.  We are going to NY for YAGP Finals.  As most of you know, our daughter, Skylin (age 12) is a ballerina. She dances with a company called Elite Classical Coaching.  Her goal for the last two years has been to make it to the finals for YAGP (the world’s largest ballet competition).  A couple months ago, Skylin qualified for YAGP Finals with her solo at the Houston regional competition.  The family had discussed numerous times that if she makes it to finals, we are all going to New York City.  So, this has been a trip that everyone was thinking about for a long time. By everyone, I mean our entire immediately family (me, Misty, Reese, Brittany, Shawn Jr, Noelle, Triniti, Skylin, Josh) plus my parents (John and Sherry) plus Noelle’s good friend Abby Clark (who is almost family).  That’s right.  12 people!!  Taking a trip to NYC is complicated and expensive with a small family.  Imagine 12 people.  Even basic logistics are challenging with that many people.  Misty, Skylin, Josh and I would leave today (April 11) and the rest of the family would join us in NYC on April 17.  Crazy.  

With all that being said, we decided to try and make this trip work.  If Shawn Jr started feeling really bad, one of the parents would just go back home with him. 

So, back to this morning.  We are up getting around.  Packing, organizing, loading the car, texting the neighbors, trying to find a place to board the dogs... You know, all the normal stuff.  I look over and Shawn has come out of his bedroom and is laying down on the living room couch.  He is covered up with a blanket and his eyes are closed.  He has shaved and looks good.  I walk over to him but he does not open his eyes.  I ask him how he is doing and he says his stomach hurts. I asked if it was nausea or pain.  He didn’t really respond.  I told him we needed to drain his lung, which we did.  After that he just laid back down.  He seemed to be hurting.  It was with more than a little hesitation that I continued packing and we left for the airport.  I don’t know if taking this trip is a good idea.  But, we have already cancelled one trip to Florida and we want to try to make this one happen.  If we need to change plans, we will.  

On the way to the airport, I was calling Blue Cross Blue Shield, Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, and various medical supply companies trying to get more Pleurx drainage bottles (for Shawn’s lung).  We are down to just 4 bottles and I have been struggling to find more bottles. They are also expensive so I am trying to get insurance to cover them.  After about 45 minutes on the phone, I get a lead on some bottles.  The BCBS representative gives me the super special phone number and fax number to the only supply company that can provide these bottles (and have them covered by insurance).  I type the numbers into my iPhone in a text message window to Misty.  We are parking at the airport and everyone is getting out of the car as I am hanging up with the BCBS representative.  I get out and grab my bag.  We get into the bus to go to the terminal and I realize that I forgot to press send on the text message.  I open my iPhone up and, of course, the text message and numbers to this medical supply company are gone!  I am furious.  The last 1 hour has just been wasted and it seems that I won’t get these bottles ordered before we leave.  I am trying to not throw my iPhone across bus.  I think the stress of the day is already getting to me.  I have too many responsibilities and everything seems like an uphill battle right now.  I calm down a bit as we get to the terminal.  

I am worried about Shawn and feel super unprepared.  This is going to be a hard trip.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Years - Remembering The Little Things About Shawn Jr.

2 Years - July 11th is Always a Hard Day

Shawn Jr Went Home