3 Years - Time is Fleeting


 Another year has passed.  It is hard to believe that it has been 3 years since Shawn Jr. left us.  Whenever I reflect on Shawn’s death, it sometimes feels like long ago and sometimes it doesn’t.  When I think about everything that has happened in our family in 3 years, it seems like a long time.  But, I can remember sitting beside Shawn’s bed at MD Anderson like it was only yesterday.

While lots of events have happened, the biggest one happened just 12 weeks ago.  Misty and I became grandparents when Reese and Brittany welcomed little Shawn Fletcher Wilson into our family.  Little Shawn Fletcher is named after Shawn Jr and has been growing and changing every day.  Fletcher has been a joy to have around and is a daily reminder that life changes fast.

Speaking of time passing quickly, how can I already be a grandpa?  It feels like it was just yesterday when Misty and I were in high school.  In just 3 years, we have had one family member leave and another join us.  That is hard for me to fully process.  I can distinctly remember the day Brittany was born.  Now she is a mother, raising her own child.  Noelle just got a job as a teacher in Forney ISD.  I remember this same girl knocking out her front teeth playing at the kitchen table with Brittany and Shawn Jr when she was 18 months old.  I have friends from law school talking about retirement.  Retirement?  I feel like I graduated college just a few years ago.  Trudging through the daily challenges in life can be exhausting.  If you are like me, sometimes the clock seems to move slow fighting through a day of work.  But, as Gretchen Rubin said, “The days are long, but the years are short.”  I could not agree more.

These past 3 years have been a reminder that time is our most precious and fleeting resource.  You, and the people you love, will not be here forever.  Try to absorb and cherish every moment – they pass quickly.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4 Years - Remembering The Little Things About Shawn Jr.

2 Years - July 11th is Always a Hard Day

Shawn Jr Went Home